Hi Moron Watchers,
As most of you will know, MoronWatch was born on Twitter some months ago, and has proved to be more popular than I expected. Twitter is a great place, but some things just can’t be done in 140 characters, so I bring you… (fanfare)… the MoronWatch blog!
This first post is dedicated to identifying the top ten morons of 2010. This has been an impossible task – 2010 has been a good year for stupidity, and as a result I can only pick a few people and groups to represent world moronkind. I apologise to those who didn’t make the cut, and wish you better luck in 2011. The winners come both from Twitter, and from the “real” world beyond.
Before I introduce the winners, I’d like to thank you for following and interacting with MoronWatch on Twitter for the past few months, and wish you a moron-free Christmas and New Year. And now, on with the show…
- In 10th place is the creationist genius Joe Cienkowski, a popular tweeter who is fighting a lonely battle to prove that Creationism is a valid science, while Evolution is a crazy religion based on faith. Joe deserves his award for the amount of effort he puts in to this task, including making videos. His arguments are many and complex, but his core argument is that evolution is too slow to be witnessed, so therefore can’t be true. He also has mathematical proof that the world is 6,000 years old, and artfully dismisses the existence of fossils as a scam. A typical entertaining (if confusing) tweet is “If evolution is true (impossible) then when we do our ancestry family tree, one of our ancestors was actually swinging from that tree”. We love you Joe!
- Our 9th place goes to Realbrother0003, another lone maverick, fighting the good fight against racism online. Though this is of course to be applauded (and indeed I’d like to support him), Real Brother ends up doing more harm than good for the cause. Most people who disagree with him are labelled White Racists – sadly, this category seems to include a number of black and Asian people. Where he accepts that an opponent is black, they are then labelled either a “self-hating black”, or most entertainingly, a “black man hating black lesbian”. He also has a wide array of “Afro-centric facts” at his disposal, such as that Christianity and Islam both originate in Africa, and that a child’s race is inherited only from its father. I’ve pointed out that Bob Marley would be white under these rules, in response to which I was called a white racist. To make it harder to follow him, Real Brother refuses to keep to the 140 Twitter limit, instead posting mini-essays via Twitlonger.
- 8th place is a group award to the many American conservatives who seem to all take the same stories from Fox News and repeat them endlessly as if they were true. There are many of these specimens, and they live in a fantasy world apart from the rest of us. They believe in the craziest myths, many of them directed at Barack Obama being foreign/a Muslim/a Socialist/a Communist. While there are many easily-led right wingers here in the UK and elsewhere, the “American Patriot” is alone in believing almost anything he/she is told, however divergent from the truth. Examples from the past few hours alone include the Socialist-hating osPatriot who has Einstein for his avatar. When I kindly pointed out that Einstein was a Socialist, he blocked me. Also typical is KurtSchlichter, who insists that the 2008 crash was caused by the government; like so many conservatives, he can see no instance where the free market can screw up, even where it blatantly has done. The American conservative is alone in the world in insisting that the government gives tax breaks to the rich. He believes that this will help the economy, and he believes that because rich people told him so.
- In 7th place we go to Africa, where homophobia is gripping much of the continent. The Kenyan tweeter YESUMob specialises in posting random, and usually irrelevant Bible verses, with the occasional bit of gay hatred thrown in. Other special moron mentions include the Malawi government who imprisoned a gay couple for 14 years for having a marriage ceremony; The Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga who recently called for gays to be rounded up; and David Bahati, a Ugandan MP who is introducing a bill to parliament to execute gays. Also included in this category are some Western liberals who hesitate to criticise African attitudes for fear of being accused of racism; or even worse, those liberals who think that Africans were “taught” homophobia by the white man, and so have no responsibility for their own attitudes.
- 6th place is dedicated to those people who think that cutting government will help the economy. Special mention must go to the Irish government, which cut deeply in order to reduce the deficit. The cuts damaged the economy, reducing tax revenues, and forcing the deficit up rather than down. Having cut and failed once, the Irish are determined to cut even more deeply, under pressure from the IMF. Irish people are reported to be leaving the country in their thousands, and the house market has collapsed. Also a special mention goes to the British government, which is determined to follow the Irish path by doing the same thing. Having seen the banks force the economy into recession, these British geniuses have wreaked their revenge… by cutting benefits to the poor and massively increasing the cost of university education.
- In 5th place is the state of Israel, and its moronic global supporters. Israel continues with its slow-motion genocide against the Palestinian people. It pretends to pay heed to “peace processes” while continuing to grab Palestinian land, strangle the economy in Gaza and carry out daily acts of terror and humiliation against the Palestinian population. In May, nine Turkish peace campaigners were shot dead on a boat bringing aid to Gaza. Gazan children who collect gravel for building work are used for target practise by the Israeli Defence Force. This prize goes jointly to those who watch the genocide but do or say nothing, particularly to the American government who act as a defensive wall around the genocide. Israel has made particularly clever use of Twitter, with paid tweeters combating anti-Israeli sentiment online.
- 4th Prize goes to the Muslim-baiters of Europe, North America and Israel, who continuously spread lies and fear about Muslims and Islam. Bizarrely, the methods being used to stoke up fear against Muslims are taken straight from Nazi methodology against Jews. Some of the most moronic people around the world have been persuaded that a tiny minority in Western countries poses a threat to society, in a sinister echo of the 1930s Jew-hate that brought Hitler to power. The Muslim-hate has created a bizarre alliance of European/American fascists with pro-Israel supporters; the very political movements that decimated Europe’s Jewish population in the 1940s now claim to be firm supporters of the Jewish state. Special mentions go to: The blogger, Muslim-hater and serial liar Pamela Geller, who makes up stories, and then writes new stories referencing her own previous lies as sources; the moronic majority of Oklahomans who voted to ban Sharia law, despite the fact that Oklahoma’s tiny Muslim minority had never called for it; the people of Switzerland who voted to ban the building of minarets, echoing Nazi-era rules about synagogue building; and moron/Pastor Terry Jones of Florida who managed to get global publicity from a moronic media, after threatening a Quran-burning ceremony on September 11 – before changing his mind. By repeatedly posting about “Muslim atrocities” while ignoring the majority of atrocities carried out by non-Muslims (in particular this year’s Sri Lankan massacre of Hindu Tamils by the Buddhist Sinhalese majority), these morons create a compelling picture of a “Muslim Problem”.
- In 3rd place come the English Defence League, a neo-fascist movement that supposedly exists to combat “Islamic extremism”. However, the highly stupid and semi-literate followers of the EDL keep forgetting to stick to the script, and so have been guilty of racist rants against Jews and Asians, along with physical attacks on Sikh and Hindu temples. The EDL are best known online for their inability to write in even basic English, which kind-of makes a mockery of their name. On demonstrations, their illiterate placards are legendary, particularly a recent one saying “SPORT ARE TROOP’S”. In following the EDL’s activities, I often make use of the valuable work done by ExposingTweets, who follows and records their insane ramblings on Facebook.
- 2nd place is devoted to big oil, which has continued to make such a mess of the world in 2010, along with its supporters in the Republican Party. It seems painfully obvious that America needs to heavily cut its oil consumption or face economic extinction, but the oil industry has ensured that Americans are kept oblivious of this truth, and that America’s leaders leave the industry alone to continue making billions of profit each month. Special mentions go to: BP, which was responsible for the huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and has since invested much time and money into telling us how the spill had minimal environmental impact; Koch Oil, who have invested millions into front organisations denying climate change; Fox News, without whom the American public would wake up to the unfolding disaster of oil addiction, and demand action; and last but not least, the great American moron, who believes he has the right to drive his SUV as far as he wants, despite the fact that this drives up the cost of oil and food for the world’s poor 50%
- And finally… despite huge competition, the undisputed moron heavyweight champions of the world are… the Teaparty! Millions of “American Patriots” have correctly come to the conclusion that SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE. But have then been persuaded that the change that’s needed is to push even more power to the corporations who have made such a mess of America in recent decades. This “revolutionary movement” is suspiciously white in its make-up, but of course this has nothing to do with a feeling of revulsion among America’s large racist minority at seeing a black man in the White House. Special mentions go to the movement’s “leaders” and instigators, particuarly the gruesome moronic duo of conspiracy-inventor extraordinaire, Glenn Beck, along with the Queen of of Morondom, Sarah Palin, who most recently entertained the world by allying herself with North Korea. Let’s also remember those Teaparty morons who we may not be hearing from in future: the super-crazies Sharron Angle who lost her electoral battle in Nevada, and Christine “Don’t Masturbate” O’Donnell who failed in her run for Delaware.
And that’s it folks! Look out for more tweets and blog posts in 2011, along with audio podcasts and more! Thanks for listening – I’m out of here till next year.