The story so far… a 17 year old black Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin, did something silly: he walked to a local shop to buy some Skittles, while both wearing a hoodie and being black. A “vigilante”, George Zimmerman, shot him dead. The local (Sanford) police decided there was no case to answer. And if it hadn’t come to national and global attention, the case would have ended there.
Today, moron Fox News commentator Geraldo Rivera said he would “bet money” Martin was shot because of the hoodie he was wearing. Personally, I’d bet money that Martin would still be alive if he wasn’t black.
In the spirit of Geraldo, here are some other victims who brought it on themselves:
- Those who died on 9/11: you worked in a tall building? What did you expect? Stop blaming those poor, misguided terrorists.
- Pearl Harbour: if you’re going to sit there looking all pearly and harboury, how did you expect the Japanese to resist?
- Holocaust victims: look, everyone knows how much Europeans hated Jews. I bet money it wouldn’t have happened if the Jews had just acted a little less Jewish.
- Deep South lynching victims: come on, you know what Southerners are like… just buy some skin bleaching ointment, already.
- Rape victims: you walk around looking all rapeable. Who told you to smell nice and cut your hair?
Geraldo Rivera is one of a long list of victim blamers. Strange: it always seems to be the Freedom-screaming right who manage to find reasons why too much freedom is a bad thing. Here’s hoping someone catches Rivera outdoors wearing something they find scary. He’s asking for it.